11.14.2013

Review: Lip Smackers Holiday Trio Lip Balm

  Hello ladies and gents! Again, I apologize for being inactive recently. Just know that I haven't given up on this blog! Today I ran into Big Lots just to peek at what goodies they had in the makeup section and I saw the most adorable Lip Smackers lip balm trio at the mere price of only $2! This set had been released for the holiday season as the scents are just fitting for this cozy time of the year! Plus, they provide the right amount of moisture for the colder weather. Keep reading after the jump!

(apologies now for the shoddy camera phone pictures; I lost the charger for my camera :( I have over edited these pictures but the color is still slightly off.)



  This lip balm trio features three lip balms with the scents Sugar Plum Party, Chilled Eggnog, and Gingerbread Cookie. Each lip balm has 4 grams of product held inside of an adorably decorated tube. These tubes have wonderful color schemes and such cute illustrations that really make then unique and fun. The products themselves do have a slight color, but they all read as clear on the lips, even on my lightly pigmented lips, but the colors do give a fun aspect to the product. Some will probably feel this is unnecessary, but I personally love discovering that lip balms have color even if they are sheer! The packaging doesn't have any direct claims, but I did find "Awesome Flavors" and "Moisturizing Shine" stated on the front of the package so I will consider these claims. 



Sorry for the blur!


  First up is Sugar Plum Party. This tube features a cute polar bear snuggled up with a scarf on a fuchsia and spearmint green color scheme. One thing I noticed right away is that the polar bear doesn't have arms! Lol. Not a big deal, I just thought it was funny. The lip balm itself is tinted a sheer purple plummy color which is a nice touch that feels like the company paid attention to all the small details. Upon sniffing before use, it has a really lovely fresh, sparkling plummy scent. This was immediately my favorite out of the bunch. However, as with most Lip Smackers, the scents of the balms differ after you use them. I glided the lip balm on, pleased with the usual creamy feeling of Lip Smackers, I immediately detected a grassy note! It was quite strange and almost outputting. However, after about ten minutes of wear, this odd grassy note dissipated into a nice creamy sweet vanilla plum scent. It tastes the same as well. Notes about the scent and flavor staying power and product longevity will be at the end of the post. This is such a lovely, fresh, sweet scent.
  Next is Chilled Eggnog. Ah, yes! Out of all the scents of lip balms I have seen, I've never seen an eggnog scent. The packaging bears a cute smiling snow man with a blue color scheme. The lip balm is an opaque white color, but it is clear once applied. When you sniff it straight from the rube before usage, this lip balm is very disappointing. It has a distinct run-of-the-mill "sweet" creamy scent, and it takes a lot of sniffing before you pick up on any hints of the spices found in eggnog; the spice notes are hardly detectable. It smells the same when applied. Boo :( This one was a disappointment, unfortunately. It's cute and smells nice, but it doesn't live up to the "Chilled Eggnog" name. It almost smells like a frosting of some sort. There's even a subtle peppermint note if I'm not mistaken.
  Lastly is Gingerbread Cookie! Again, a unique choice for a lip balm scent. This creamy orange lip balm is housed in a tube with an orange color scheme and a cute smiling gingerbread woman on the front. Again, the color of the lip balm doesn't show on the lips. It has a very strong top note of the typical "cookie" scent found in almost all cookie/desserts Lip Smackers, but it does have a lovely frosting scent! The spices of a gingerbread cookie are there; I can detect on a subtle clove and even a peppery note. I was really surprised to smell the frosting in this lip balm! The smell of this lip balm captures the "cookie" aspect which was lovely. Most Gingerbread Cookie scents only get the gingerbread smell and seem to leave out the cookie part. Good for you, Lip Smackers! I'd say that once you apply it, the spices are slightly more noticeable. Slightly.
The formula on these are pretty nice; they're creamy, but have a nice slip to them.

  Overall, I was pretty happy with this holiday trio. Two out of three isn't bad when the two that count are done really well. My personal favorite is the Sugar Plum Party because it's a nice variation from the heavier sweet scents in this trio and balances everything out. The scent and flavor of these last about twenty minutes on the lips, but the scent is only detectable if you pucker up and physically smell your lips. The scents are very mild when applied, so I don't see many people having a problem with these. I think these lip balms live up to the "Awesome Flavor" and "Moisturizing Shine" claims; these have awesome scents and despite the lip-balmy taste, they taste fairly okay. I wouldn't go around licking my lip balm off though, lol! They do have a nice sheen to them and are slick and moisturizing on the lips which is nice during the winter. Just a side note, these products are made in the U.S.A, as stated on the packaging; I know this is a big plus for people! I'd say if you see this set in stores, it's worth picking up as a fun stocking stuffer for your little girl (or boy) or a cute gift for a relative. You might even like them yourself! They're nicely priced at a mere $2, considering there's three to a package and they're Lip Smackers. Lip Smackers have gotten pricey these past few years! I'm not sure where these will start popping up, but I assume Wal-Mart and drug stores such as CVS, Wal-Greens, Rite Aid, etc., but I'm uncertain if these were sold previously, or are still being sold :( They may be pricier there, however.
  I hope everybody has a safe winter season and a merry Christmas, or Kwanzaa, or Hanukkah- whatever you may celebrate ^^ Do you plan to picking these up? How are you going to spend the holidays? Comments are welcomed! :) Xoxo~

*I purchased this product with my personal funds, and am in no way affiliated/associated with the company/companies featured in this post. I was not sent any products from the company/companies featured in this post to review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment