1.19.2014

Review: Montagne Jeunesse for Men Peel Off Deep Pore Cleansing Masque a.k.a The Spearmint Mask from Hell

   Hi guys! Today I have a peel off mask to review. I recently picked up the Montagne Jeunesse for Men Peel Off Deep Pore Cleansing Masque. The pores around my nose have been looking a little clogged lately, so I decided to give this mask a go and see if it could help with getting some of the dirt out and maybe even reduce the appearence of pores. However, the off-putting spearmint scent and discomfort during wear time made it hard to feel the results were worth it.



Claims: This mask claims to "dig the dirt" out of pores with a "real zing of natural spearmint" and "wipe out dead skin." It is supposed to deliver a "deep down clean cleansing for smoother skin in top condition." I'm just going to start off by emphasizing the "not for use on very sensitive skin" disclaimer: DO NOT USE THIS MASK IF YOU HAVE VERY SENSITIVE OR DRY SKIN. Sure, I did feel my pores were cleaner and my skin felt smoother, but it was definitely not in top condition. My skin felt very irritated around my nose and cheeks, and my face was very red 20 minutes after peeling off the mask. It took a while for my skin to finally return to a normal complexion. My face felt smoother than before I had used the mask, but it felt so dry and tight, such much so it was almost uncomfortable. If you use this, you will definitely want to use some type of moisturizer afterwords. 
 

Ingredients & Scent: The ingredients are shown above. This does contain spearmint leaf oil and dead sea salt. I'm glad to see that it doesn't contain any fragrance/parfum, but unfortunately this means that the scent has to come from the abundance of spearmint leaf oil. With spearmint leaf oil being the fifth ingredient on the list, it explains the overwhelming spearmint scent. It was so overwhelming and strong that I almost didn't use the product. If you are sensitive to strong scents, steer clear of this mask! I cannot emphasize this enough. According to the website, this mask is suitable for vegans, gluten free, dairy free, and has no added parabens.


Application: This mask was very runny and this made it so hard to photograph. All the pictures I had of the actual product were so blurry because it was dripping all over my counter! The product claimed to be "mess free", but it was anything but that. It was very sticky and runny so it was hard to apply and spread onto my skin. I had to apply the mask in a rush because I didn't want it to drip all over the counter. Also, when you open this, cut the sachet open with a pair of scissors because trying to tear the top off proves to be very difficult and an unclean tear will make it hard to get the product out evenly. The mask didn't apply or dry as blue as the packaging shows which I'm thankful for- in fact, the mask was completely clear.

During wear time: When I first applied it, I felt a cooling sensation that is typical for a cleansing mask. However, about three minutes later, my face was stinging like crazy. My skin is not that sensitive and masks with that cooling-tingly sensation doesn't bother me, but the tingly stinging was just really prevalent. The spearmint scent was just as strong, as well. It lasted almost the entire time the mask was on my face, only dissipating in the last five minutes. The mask took around 20 minutes to dry completely, and peeled off with ease. 
The mask when applied- super shiny! 


After removing: I do feel that this mask cleaned my pores and removed dead skin, but unfortunately I don't have any "before" pictures, just a few after pictures. When you remove the mask, it feels kind of dry and has an off white cast. I felt skeptical as to whether or not the texture left behind on the mask was just from the texture of my skin or actual dead skin, but upon testing it on my hand and comparing the results, there is definitely a lot of dead skin on the mask. My overall skin tone appeared to be brighter and a tad more even, but my skin felt to dry and tight it was almost uncomfortable. The mask does say to deliver smoother skin, which it did deliver, but as I mentioned earlier, you'll want to put some kind of moisturizer on afterwards. It irritated some skin around my nose and I found that some areas of my face were red. However, I did have a lot of product left over so I let my sister use some and her skin condition is in worse shape than mine. She has more acne and problem areas (I feel so mean!) and her skin looked more clear and less irritated. Maybe it was user error and my skin wasn't in a condition to be using it, or it just didn't work for me. Whatever it was, I'm dubbing this the Spearmint Mask from Hell. 

After using the mask. 
Extremely awkward close up of the pores on my nose. Notice the redness and dry skin?
I do feel that my pores were cleaner and not as noticeable. 

Super blurry picture of the mask texture after removing, apologies!

Availability: I purchased this from Wal-Mart for $1.99. I'm not sure if any drugstores or Target carry Montagne Jeunesse face masks as I've never checked there, but if you're interested, you could take a peek. You can also purchase this online at here, but I'm not 100% whether or not they ship to areas besides the U.K., France, and Germany. I do not believe they make this mask in a larger size. 

Overall: I feel like this mask might be good for someone that has more "problem" skin with more acne or clogged pores, but judging by how irritated this made my skin (and my skin isn't that sensitive!), I'm not sure if you would want to use this on skin with acne! I would say use this mask at your own risk. I personally do not feel that the discomfort I experienced during wearing this mask is worth such mediocre results. Hopefully if you try this, you'll have better results that I did. 

Do you think you'll be willing to give this mask a try? Thanks for reading! Xoxo~

(I've been testing a Maybelline mascara recently! Consider these pictures teasers of the upcoming mascara review ;) Do you think you know which mascara I'm testing from these pictures?)


*I purchased this product with my personal funds, and am in no way affiliated/associated with the company/companies featured in this post. I did not receive any product from the company/companies featured in this post to review and give my honest opinion on.*






No comments:

Post a Comment