11.17.2013

Review: Well at Walgreens Core + Seasonal Spherical Lip Balm - Watermelon, Sugar Cookie, Candy Cane, and Berry Frost

     Hey guys! Today I have a few lip balms that are creating a slight buzz in the blogosphere- Well at Walgreens Spherical lip balm. They bear a resemblance to EOS which makes them the center of attention, but I actually prefer them to EOS! In addition to the core scent of Watermelon, they released three seasonal scents: Sugar Cookie, Candy Cane, and Berry Frost! I received the Candy Cane and Sugar Cookie flavors recently and I fell in love with the formula and delicious scents and flavors, I just had to go to Walgreens and pick up Berry Frost and Watermelon as well. Plus, they're buy one get one free right now with a Walgreens rewards card! I've heard many good things about these, but can all of them live up to their reputation? Keep reading after the jump!

     A quick note, I have heard there is also a strawberry sorbet version of this lip balm at Rite-Aid if none of these appeal to you or you simply want more like yours truly, lol~
    First, the core scent: Watermelon. This scent is the core scent and I believe it is the only permanent flavor/scent of these lip balms. The packaging is very adorable and bears a nice resemblance to a watermelon. The exterior is made of a watermelon green plastic with little waves on the sides, and inside of this pretty green packaging is a lovely pink balm! I was very thrilled to see this because I love little details about prodcuts like this. EOS lip balms are always white, so this was a pleasant surprise. The scent and flavor also resemble a watermelon- a watermelon Jolly Rancher! The fragrance of this is sooooooooo good. I detected a slight creamy, vanilla note to this balm as well that really makes this one of my favorite flavors in the selection. I highly suggest picking this one up!


    Now, the seasonal flavors. First off is my number one favorite out of the three available: Sugar cookie. The packaging is a clean white with the same little waves on the side, and the lip balm looks exactly look sugar cookie dough! Yummy! Again, I love the fact that little details were paid attention to. The scent and flavor is even better- it smells exactly like a Bath and Body Works Sugar/Holiday Cookie candle. This one is my absolute favorite out of the ones I have. This is an absolute must if you are a cookie fan like me!

Apologies for being a bad blogger and using before taking pics, I couldn't resist!

   Next is Candy Cane. I was mostly curious about this scent because of this video I watched by lissaandbeauty on YouTube said it was a creamy kind of candy cane and I am a sucker for these kinds of mint scents. The shell exterior is a cute peppermint red and the lip balm inside is a cute white shade. I cannot tell you how much I love how the color schemes correlate with the scent! However, this mint scent is a little strong. It smells a teeny bit artificial, like a peppermint candle or soap, but the vanilla creaminess was detectable and took off some of the peppermint-y edge. If you are more sensitive to these  There is a slight tingly sensation when applied, but it's nothing overwhelming and doesn't last more than a few minutes. The tingle feels nice and soothing on the lips.
 

   Lastly, my least favorite, is Berry Frost. I had really high expectations to this because I love frosty berry scents  during the holiday. I give this product bonus points because both the packaging and lip balm are a lovely shade of purple. However, I could smell the scent of this product through the packaging and wrapping. It was a very strong, sour berry scent. When you open this lip balm, the sour berry whacks you over the head- sensitive sniffers beware! There's a weird musky undertone I can smell in this balm. The scent reminds me of a Lip Smackers lip gloss I had easily 7 years ago and it wasn't pleasant then and it isn't pleasant now. Some may like this scent, but for me personally, I don't like this scent at all. Boo :( Maybe it will grow on me.
 
Sorry for the bad picture and messed up balm, I wasn't careful when putting the cap on.

    These lip balms are available at Walgreens for $2.99, but as I said earlier, there is a BOGO sale going on right now but this is only effective if you have the Walgreens rewards card (which is free to apply for). I'm not sure if the Sugar Cookie, Candy Cane, or Berry Frost are going to be limited edition or permanent. The container that held them didn't state anything about them being limited edition and neither did the packaging. I would buy a few now just in case they disappear! The Strawberry Sorbet flavor I mentioned earlier is only at Rite-Aid for $2.99 as well, but I unfortunately will not be able to review this scent, as I don't have a local Rite-Aid.


  One thing I loved about these lip balms is that on each lip balm, there is an expiration date! Most brands don't include these on the packaging, so I'm very happy about this. The ingredients on these differed with each scent, but they all have mineral oil as the first ingredient. The formula is nice; they're not as waxy as an EOS lip balm, they have a little more slip. They last about an hour or so for me, which isn't a problem as I tend to reapply my lip balms. They have a thinner formula, but you can build it up to a thicker layer; these provide nice miniaturization and temporary relief for chapped lips and give a nice healthy matte finish. The scents on the Candy Cane and Berry Frost last longer than the Watermelon and Sugar Cookie scents, which last a few minutes. Candy Cane and Berry Frost stick around for a while. The flavor lasts, but is very mild.
    The top of the lip balm isn't round like an EOS balm, it's flat on the top so it's not as precise as an EOS where you can easily glide it on. You need the maneuver you lips a bit to cover them.
   In general, these are a nice product and it's worth picking up a few either for yourself or as a gift- they would make lovely stocking stuffers! I recommend the Sugar Cookie and Watermelon flavors, and if you like peppermint scents, Candy Cane is a nice scent as well. I would be wary of Berry Frost and Candy Cane because their scents are so strong and may not be pleasing to all.
   Do you plan to pick any of these up this holiday season? Thanks for reading! Xoxo~

UPDATE: i found a strawberry scent/flavor at WalGreens recently! ^^

*I purchased the product(s) with my personal funds, and am in no way affiliated/associated with the company/companies featured in this post. I was not sent any products from the company/companies featured in this post to review.*

2 comments:

  1. do you knkow if you can buy these online? none of our stores has the candy cane flavor, and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I've looked at the Walgreens website and didn't find them there, unfortunately. I also checked on Google shopping just to see if there were any listings from Amazon or eBay but there wasn't. Hopefully You'll be able to hunt a few down! Good luck :)

      Delete