1.19.2014

Review: Essence I Love Extreme Crazy Volume Mascara


  Hello everyone! I went to Ulta recently and took advantage of the BOGO50% sale on the Essence cosmetics and I am so excited that I did. I finally decided to give the I Love Extreme Crazy Volume mascara a try because I have heard some great things about it and it sounded like the perfect mascara for me. To see if this mascara lives up to it's claims, keep reading after the jump!



(I'm sorry for such awkward pictures! I got strep throat and look and feel like a wreck.)

Packaging: I love the packaging of this mascara! The tube is a cute bright pink color that is easily distinguishable in your stash or makeup bag. It is a little big compared to some other mascaras, but that doesn't really bother me.

Wand: The wand was a little nice surprise for me because I've been seeing so many big, dense wands on the market so a slimmer plastic bristle wand was refreshing. This wand is so awesome because it grabs every lash and can reach even the inner corner, and it almost feels like it is combing through your lashes which is due to the ultra-short plastic bristles. That being said, I feel like the brush prevents clumps because it does feel like it is combing the mascara onto your lashes.



Claims: From the Essence website:
"the i love extreme mascara’s "crazy" sister – for even more volume! the deep-black, creamy texture covers each individual lash with color and the extra-large plastic brush provides sensational volume. the mascara container is designed in the usual i love-colors, except they’re the other way around – in a cool pink with black lettering. opthalmologically tested."
I do feel this mascara delivers the volume it promises and the color is a deep black. On the packaging it does say it is "ultra black", but I find that it's not the blackest mascara I have tried. It is definitely black, though. The formula is creamy without being too wet or too dry- it is on the drier side, but I prefer drier mascaras so it's not an issue for me. I can't compare this to the I Love Extreme Volume mascara so I can't say anything about this mascara being "crazier."


Ingredients: On the Ulta website the ingredients are:
Aqua (Water), Synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Butylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Aminomethyl Propanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

I am glad to see that there isn't any fragrance/parfum in this mascara because it's not really necessary in a mascara, and just irritates my eyes. On the Essence website, they have two different lists of ingredients for this mascara which is a little strange.

Formula: This formula is on the drier side, which is good for building up volume because you can layer this mascara on and get volume without the clumps. You can build this mascara nicely, but it doesn't take much to get big, thick lashes. It's also easy to remove so you don't need to worry about having to scrub this off and risk a few eyelashes in the process, which is something I find common in most volumizing mascaras, such as Covergirl Bombshell mascara. It does give some noticeable length, but not as much as some other mascaras may deliver but this is marketed as a volumizing mascara. The mascara also gives a nice dose of curl, too!

Wear: This mascara wears pretty nicely, maybe six hours or so before I notice some wear. I feel like towards the end of the day my lashes don't look as black as they did during the first few hours of wear, which is most likely the cause of the fact that this mascara flakes. Because it is a drier formula, some flaking is going to happen. It's not very noticeable unless you're up close, but it's still annoying. I have an oilier eye area and I didn't have any problems with this smudging which is something that you're going to need when you like in Florida! 

Value: I think this is such an awesome mascara for only $4.99! You're getting 12 ml/.40 fl. oz. of product for a dirt cheap price. This mascara has become my holy grail because it's such a good product at a good price.

Notes: This product does state that is is "ophthalmologically tested". My eyes are sensitive and wearing this mascara didn't irritate them so if you have a sensitive eye area and having a problem finding a good mascara that won't irritate your eyes, you definitely want to check this mascara out. Essence is cruelty free. 

Overall: I really feel like this is an awesome mascara. It delivers volume and some length without any clumping or irritation. This has become my Holy Grail mascara because it works wonderfully for me. This mascara definitely gets a 5/5! If you have a sensitive eye area, as I said earlier, and you have a hard time finding mascaras that won't irritate your eyes but gives your lashes volume and length that isn't crazy expensive, you should give this product a try.


Before and Afters!

The top are my bare uncurled lashes and the bottom is just one coat of the ILECV mascara

Bonus awkward difference picture!


Thanks for reading! Xoxo~

 *I purchased the product(s) with my personal funds, and am in no way affiliated/associated with the company/companies featured in this post. I was not sent any products from the company/companies featured in this post to review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment